Alitalia is the Italian flag airline, born from the privatization of the old Alitalia Italian Airlines and the union with Alitalia Express, Volareweb, Air Europe, Air One and Air One CityLiner.
General information Alitalia
The main office is in Rome at Fiumicino. It covers 55% of the market in Italy and operates for the transport of passengers and goods to numerous national, international and intercontinental destinations.
The Alitalia fleet currently consists of 183 aircraft including boeing 777 - 737 - 767, McDonnel Douglas Md 11 - 82, Atr 72, Airbus A 321 - 320 - 319, Embraer ERJ-170.
Wanting to start the activity of the old Alitalia, it began on May 5, 1947 with the inauguration flight carried out with the Fiat G.12 Alcione on the Turin-Rome-Catania route while, the following year the first international flight of medium-haul Rome-Oslo.
The first intercontinental flight was a 35-hour flight to connect Milan with Buonos Aires via Rome, Dakar, Natal, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Alitalia immediately managed to establish itself on the Italian market by conquering the main routes.
The company's success has been confirmed since the 1960s with the appointment of Alitalia as the official carrier of the 1960 Rome Olympics.
The company's growth continued unabated even in the 70s and 80s with ever new connections including flights to North America and Japan, which allowed it to reach 7th place in the international traffic ranking.
In the 1990s, reaching the milestone of almost 28 million passengers per year, due to bad investment policies and trade union conflicts, the budget results for the shareholders and the state coffers became disappointing.
In 1996 a new industrial plan was carried out to give a new structure to the companies through the alliance with Klm which was however broken by the latter unilaterally in 2000.
In 2001, considered one of the worst years for civil aviation worldwide due also to the terrorist attacks of 11 September in New York, Alitalia flights suffered more than competition from the drop in demand, mainly due to the previous structural crisis that caused them hindered the growth and growing development of increasingly fierce and reliable low cost airlines.
In the same year, Alitalia entered into an alliance with Air France and one of the main air alliances joined SkyTeam, whose members, in addition to Air France-KLM, are: Delta Air Lines, Continental Airlines, Korean Air, Northwest Airlines, CSA Czech Airlines, Aeroflot and AeroMexico.Recommended readings
- Klm: web check in, flight and baggage booking
- British airways: web check in, flight and baggage booking
- Sas: web check in, flight and baggage booking
- Alitalia: flight reservations, flight schedules, web check in
- Tuifly: web check in, flight and baggage booking
At the end of 2006, the Italian government made the decision to privatize the company.
Alitalia onboard service
Alitalia is renowned for the excellent service provided on board also in economy class, which varies according to the duration of the flight:
- Domestic flights: generally on domestic flights Alitalia offers a salty / sweet snack with a range of drinks of your choice: milk, coffee, orange juice, coca cola, water.
- International short / medium-haul flights: Alisnack is offered on these flights, a box containing sandwich / pizza, dessert, yogurt, candy, and an ice cream accompanied by a series of drinks.
- International flights exceeding 3 hours: On these flights a real lunch is served, characterized by first course, second course, side dish and dessert + drinks.
- Intercontinental flights: On these flights the service includes two meals (lunch and dinner, dinner and breakfast, breakfast and lunch) plus a series of snacks during the flight
All this is served by trained and polite staff mainly made up of splendid female flight attendants, hostesses in green uniforms.
For more information on Alitalia online check in, flight booking, hand luggage and contacts go to the airline's website directly from here.