How to cook eggplant and tomato caponata, a recipe to be prepared in a simple way that includes, among the ingredients, also capers, anchovy fillets, raisins and pine nuts with basil scent.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 4 tablespoons of pickled capers
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 aubergines
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g of raisins
- 30 g of pine nuts
- fennel seeds
- some basil leavesRecommended readings
- Parsley artichokes with garlic
- Shredded cabbage with sausages and olives
- Capers and anchovies sauce with olives
- Stir-fried potatoes with tomato
- Recipe for country salad with lettuce and anchovies
- salt and pepper
Preparation of eggplant and tomato caponata
Remove the green glass from the aubergines, then wash them, dry them and cut them into thick slices, to be subsequently cut into cubes.
Peel the onion, chop it and brown it in a low and wide pan with the hot oil, stirring often with a wooden spoon and taking care that it does not burn.
Add the aubergines, capers and anchovy fillets, leaving everything to flavor for a few minutes.
Add the peeled and coarsely chopped tomatoes, the soaked and squeezed raisins, the pine nuts, a pinch of fennel seeds and the chopped basil leaves.
Reduce the heat, add salt and pepper and cook for about 20 more minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
Serve immediately, possibly accompanied with scrambled eggs.