The Saint of the 9 December is San Siro bishop of Pavia, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
San Siro di Pavia
Referring to the passage of the Gospel where the multiplication of the loaves is told, a boy is mentioned who had five barley loaves and two fish.
By now consolidated tradition it is said that the name of this boy was Syrian, probably because he was from Syria.
It seems that, having arrived in Italy following San Pietro, he was sent by him to do evangelization work in the North, especially at the then Ticinum, a place that corresponds to the current Pavia.
According to other sources, San Siro was a disciple of Ermagora and was the first bishop of Aquileia.
He was then sent to evangelize Pavia, of which he was the first bishop, in addition to this he also committed his energies to announce the Word of God in Verona, Brescia, Parma, Piacenza, Lodi, Milan, Genoa and Asti.
He died in about 380, after having exercised the episcopate for a period of 56 years in the diocese of Pavia, much older than that of Milan.
Other saints and celebrations on 9 December
- San Giovanni Didaco
- San Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin
- Blessed Bernard of Jesus Silvestrelli
- Saint Cyprian of Genouillac
- December 9: saint of the day, name day
- December 10: saint of the day, name day
- December 11: saint of the day, name day
- December 7: saint of the day, name day
- December 22: saint of the day, name day
- Blessed Giuseppe Ferrer Esteve
- Santa Gorgonia
- Santa Leocadia of Toledo
- Blessed Liborio Wagner
- San Pietro Fourier
Sister of San Gregorio N.
Virgin and martyr
Priest and martyr