The Saint of the day February 2 is Presentation of the Lord, the feast of Candlemas, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
Presentation of the Lord
Forty days after Holy Christmas the Church celebrates the feast of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple.
The episode is reported in the Gospel of Luke: "forty days after the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary, according to the religious practice of the time, brought the child to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord, as prescribed by the Mosaic law".
During this event there was a meeting with Elder Simeon who took the child Jesus in his arms and blessed God: "Now, Lord, let your servant go in peace according to your word; because my eyes have seen your salvation, prepared by you before all peoples, light to illuminate the peoples and glory of your people Israel "(Lk 2, 27-32).
Simeon also said to Mary: “He is here for the ruin and resurrection of many in Israel, a sign of contradiction for the thoughts of many hearts to be revealed.
And to you too a sword will pierce the soul "(Lk 2, 34-35).
Even Anna, an elderly prophetess who came to the Temple at that time, joined the announcement of Simeon, also placing herself to praise God and recognizing the child Jesus as Messiah and Savior.
This feast is also called Feast of Candlemas, in reference to the words Simeon said when he took the child Jesus "light that illuminates all peoples".
A celebration of light is therefore celebrated in the Church, with the blessing and distribution of candles.
Other saints and celebrations on February 2
- Blessed Andrea Carlo Ferrari
- Saint Burcardo of Würzburg
- Santa Caterina de ’Ricci
- San Flosculo (Floscolo) of Orleans
- February 16: saint of the day, name day
- February 17: saint of the day, name day
- February 21: saint of the day, name day
- February 2: saint of the day, name day
- February 10: saint of the day, name day
- Santa Giovanna de Lestonnac
- St. John Theophanes Venard
- St. Lawrence of Canterbury
- Blessed Maria Catherine Kasper
- Blessed Maria Domenica Mantovani (Josephine of the Immaculate Conception)
- Blessed Nicola (Essay) from Longobardi
- Blessed Pietro da Ruffia
Priest and martyr
Priest and martyr