What to see in Feuchtwangen, an itinerary to discover this town, located along the route of the Via Romantica and rich in history, whose origins date back to the eighth century, when the Benedictine monastery was founded around which the urban agglomeration developed.
From 1200 century to 1376 Feuchtwangen was a free imperial city, later it passed to the margraviate of Brandenburg Ansbach.
From 1806 the city became part of Bavaria.
The Market Square is harmonious and intimate, which is why it is called the "Franconian festival hall".
Pretty civic houses and the town hall delimit the square. On the north side of the square is the Gothic convent church which replaced the Romanesque convent church of San Salvatore.
Used as the main evangelical-Lutheran church since 1623, the convent church has an interesting interior to visit, where a beautiful high altar, painted in 1483 by Durer master Michael Wolgemut of Nuremberg, the carvings of the choir stalls and the tomb of the canon Lucsa Freyer.
To the south of the church is the late Romanesque cloister, which was part of the Benedictine monastery. In the upper floor on the western wing there are six original workshops of the times: pastry shops, dry cleaners, tin smelters, potters, shoemakers and weavers.
Every year, during the summer months, the famous representations of the cloister, used as an outdoor theater, are held in the internal courtyard.
Parallel to the convent church, on the back side stands the parish church of San Giovanni erected on the ancient baptistery of the royal court.
Behind the church of San Giovanni there was the Chapel of San Pietro e Paolo, built on the cemetery, then transformed into a barn, now used as a room for city meetings.
In the Market Square there is a Baroque artesian well, decorated with colorful figures and coats of arms. Museumsgasse begins in the vicinity of the well, a romantic street with houses with sloping roofs.Recommended readings
- Dresden (Germany): what to see
- Octoberfest (Germany): beer festival in Munich
- Stuttgart (Germany): what to see
- Hamburg (Germany): what to see in the main port
- Hohenfurch (Germany): what to see
Almost at the end of the street, a wooden pump and a stone table once used for counting money indicate the Franconian Museum located in a building from 1789.
Inside it is possible to view civil furnishings with style that ranges from baroque to liberty, as well as a fine collection of ceramics from Faenza.
The new part of the museum is located above the former synagogue of 1833, which was destroyed in 1938 during the Nazi period.
The fountain in front is dedicated to the medieval troubadour Walther Von Der Vogelweide, while the nearby Franconian Music Museum tells the story of the association of singers.