What to see in Foligno, one-day itinerary including the main monuments and places of interest, including the Cathedral of San Feliciano, the Municipal Art Gallery, the Church of San Salvatore and the Museum of Palazzo Trinci.
Located on the plain in the center of the Umbrian valley and to the left of the Topino river, Foligno was inhabited in ancient times by the people of the Umbrians, then in Roman times it became an important municipality located along the Via Flaminia.
In the Middle Ages it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto, subsequently it was a free commune in the twelfth century, before becoming a papal possession.
In Piazza della Repubblica, which constitutes the city center, overlook the secondary facade of the Duomo, the Palazzo Trinci and the Palazzo Comunale, of thirteenth-century origin.
The Duomo, built in 1133 in Romanesque style, was subsequently modified several times.
In the single-nave interior of the Cathedral of San Feliciano, there is the Chapel of the Sacrament, built by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger in 1527.
Coats of arms, inscriptions and sculptures are preserved in the large Romanesque crypt.
The Municipal Art Gallery is housed in the Palazzo Trinci, built between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, where ancient frescoes are present in some rooms, including some torn from the wall, as well as various tables and paintings from the fifteenth century, works by school artists local.
In the adjacent archaeological museum you can see remarkable Roman sculptures, as well as inscriptions and sarcophagi.
The church of Santa Maria Infraportas, which has an interesting facade, is preceded by a portico on columns, with an imposing bell tower on the side.
The interior with three naves is decorated with votive frescoes from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.Recommended readings
- Umbria: Sunday day trips
- Gualdo Tadino (Umbria): what to see
- Ferentillo (Umbria): what to see
- Orvieto (Umbria): what to see
- Castiglione del Lago (Umbria): what to see
In the twelfth-century chapel of the Assumption you can admire remarkable Byzantine frescoes, as well as a Madonna and Child made of wood in the twelfth century.
In the same square there is also the former Church of San Domenico, characterized on the outside by a beautiful Gothic portal and a high bell tower, while inside there are some noteworthy frescoes.
The fourteenth-century Church of San Nicolò, heavily remodeled over the centuries, houses interesting polyptychs depicting the Nativity, Resurrection and Saints, as well as the Coronation of Mary, by Alunno.
The Church of San Salvatore, formerly a Benedictine church, has a remarkable facade of the fourteenth century in Gothic style, characterized by bands of white and red stone with a central porch and bell tower on the side.
The Renaissance oratory of the Nunziatella, built in 1494, has a valuable interior where, at the right altar, there are two frescoes by Perugino, depicting the Eternal Father and the Baptism of Jesus.
In the surroundings of Foligno, about 6 km away, is the Abbey of Sassovivo, built in the eleventh century by the Benedictines.
Of the original complex only the cloister from 1229 remains, characterized by 128 paired columns.