Guide to whitewashing a room in your home in an easy way, from purchasing the necessary materials to preparing the environment for a professional job similar to what a house painter could do.
How to paint the house yourself
1) Purchase all the necessary tools before starting, calculating the amount of paint needed, going to a well-stocked shop specializing in DIY, where to choose the most suitable paint, paper adhesive tapes, nylon sheets, sandpaper with grain medium, a stucco jar for internal walls, a spatula, a round brush and a roller, with a special tray and grill, equipped with an extension.
2) Arrange newspapers, cartons, a ladder, a broom and various disposable rags in the house, then remove all the objects that can be moved, covering the others with the purchased towels. If the purpose is to paint only a part of the room, remove only the elements that are in the affected area. Since the paint will easily splash on the floor or on the furniture, especially if you put a lot of determination into painting, cover the horizontal and vertical area for a couple of meters.
3) Whitewashing is also an opportunity to plug any holes on the walls with stucco, for example those caused by old nails, and to remove the stains that may have formed over time. At the end, sand the restored parts with sandpaper.
4) Remove the cover plates of the electrical outlets, or in the absence, if outlets of the old type, use the paper tape to protect them.
5) Dust the walls of the room to make the paint adhere better.
6) In order to have perfectly identical colors, it is advisable to whitewash in the same period as the paint may fade over time, especially in places heavily exposed to sunlight.
7) If you notice the presence of mold, remove it with a mixture composed in equal parts of water and bleach, after rinsing the treated area with pure tap water.
8) Prepare the surfaces to be painted, they must be perfectly dry, cleaned of dust and cobwebs. Try to pass a sponge on the wall, to check that you have removed any residue. In the event that the existing paint is chipped, it is necessary to scrape it with a metal brush to prevent the new paint from coming off together with the old one.
9) If the walls show traces of grease, the painting will be more difficult, for this reason it is advisable to proceed with the removal with kitchen detergent.
10) Read the label on the paint bin before starting to whiten, in order to know the drying time.Recommended readings
- How to easily whitewash a room in the house
- How to make the perfect turn-ups for pants
- Gift ideas: what gift to make, where to buy
- How to make demineralized distilled water for iron
- How to eliminate ants naturally from the garden and from the house
11) Spread the masking tape on the ends of the areas that will not be painted, such as kitchen furniture, windows, wooden objects, floors and ceilings.
12) Check that all risk areas are well covered, remember that the subsequent cleaning would certainly take longer.
13) Avoid dragging the paint to other rooms, taking off or changing your shoes before leaving the room.
14) Start the painting, providing the necessary passes to obtain a good final result with a uniform color, waiting for at least an hour between one coat and another.
15) When finished, remove the paper adhesive tape and cover.
16) Proceed with the restoration of all the objects and furnishing accessories removed, not before a few hours have passed since the last coat was laid.