The Saint of the day January 30 is Santa Martina, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
Martina, who was a noble Roman woman, suffered martyrdom during the persecution of Alessandro Severo.
Despite her having been dedicated a church in Rome in medieval times, many had forgotten.
Pope Urban VIII, finding the relics of Santa Martina in the ruins of an ancient church, researched its history, wishing to bring this young woman to the attention of the faithful to bring her as an example of holiness.
It was Pope Urban VIII who, coming across the ruins of an ancient church in the relics of Santa Martina, sought out its history and wanted to propose the young girl as an example of holiness.
He composed a hymn dedicated to her, where hints are made to the life of the girl, who was the daughter of a Roman consul, orphaned and heir to a vast patrimony.
Furthermore, his immense charity is exalted, together with the purity of his life and the courage he had in witnessing to his Christian faith.
In the same text is also narrated his martyrdom and his death by beheading.
Other saints and celebrations on January 30th
- St. Adelelmo (Elesmo) of Burgos
- Santa Alda (Aldegonda)
- Sant’Armentario di Pavia
- San Barsimeo (Barsamya)
- January 26: saint of the day, name day
- January 12: saint of the day, name day
- January 4: saint of the day, name day
- January 16: saint of the day, name day
- January 27: saint of the day, name day
- Santa Batilde
- Blessed Bronislao Bonaventura Markiewicz
- Blessed Carmela Garcia Moyon
- Blessed Columba Giuseppe Marmion
- Saint David Galvan Bermudez
- Blessed Francesco Taylor
- Santa Giacinta Marescotti
- San Khuong (Thomas)
- St. Matthias
- San Muziano Maria Wiaux
- San Paolo I Hyob
- Blessed Sebastiano Valfrè
- Blessed Sigismund (Zygmunt) Pisarski
Virgin and martyr
Bishop of EdessaRecommended readings
Queen of the Franks
Mayor of Dublin, martyr
Priest, martyr in Tonkin
Bishop of Jerusalem
Priest and martyr