The Saint of the day July 31 is Saint Ignatius of Loyola, which name day is celebrated and other saints are celebrated on this date.
St. Ignatius of Loyola
Saint Ignatius of Loyola, born in Azpeitia on December 24, 1491 and died in Rome on July 31, 1556, was a Spanish priest and founder of the Society of Jesus.
Ignatius, the youngest of 13 siblings, was orphaned by his mother at just seven years old.
In 1506 he became a page in the service of Juan Velázquez de Cuéllar, his relative, who was the treasurer of the kingdom of Castile.
In his position as courtier, Ignatius had a wealthy lifestyle at that time, while always keeping his deep sensitivity towards faith and honor alive.
In 1517 Ignatius, enrolled in the army, was seriously injured in the leg during the Battle of Pamplona. Due to the bone trauma he suffered, he found himself bedridden for a long time in a room in his father's castle.
During his forced hospitalization, he had the opportunity to devote himself to reading knightly novels and religious books, including some concerning the life of Jesus and the lives of the saints.
Inspired by these texts, Ignatius began to desire to change his lifestyle, favoring his own work and taking as a model Saint Francis of Assisi and other great spiritual figures.
He planned to go to the Holy Land to remain as a beggar in the land where Jesus had lived.
Before leaving for the Holy Land, he went to the Benedictine monastery of Montserrat, where he hung his arms in front of the statue of the black Madonna and replaced his knight's dress with a poor pilgrim's dress, heading towards Manresa, where he was welcomed in a hospice.
Found hospitality by the Dominicans of the city, he had profound mystical visions and illustrations near the Cardoner stream.Recommended readings
- July 11: saint of the day, name day
- July 3: saint of the day, name day
- July 13: saint of the day, name day
- 4th of July: saint of the day, name day
- July 28: saint of the day, name day
He experienced many fasts and vigils for over ten months, his primary desire had become to place himself at the service of Christ and his Church to glorify God ever more.
At that time he developed his method of prayer, based on his experience, alongside contemplation based on discernment.
He was proclaimed a Saint in 1622 under the pontificate of Pope Gregory XV.
Other saints and celebrations on July 31st
- San Calimero in Milan
- Saints Democritus, Second and Dionysius
- Blessed Dionigi Vicente Ramos and Francesco Remon Jativa
- Saint Elena (Elin) of Skovde
- Blessed Everardo Hanse
- San Fabio the Vessilifero
- Blessed Francis (Franciszek) Stryjas
- San Germano d'Auxerre
- Blessed James (Jaime) Buch Canals
- Blessed Giovanni Colombini
- Blessed Giovanni Francesco Jarrige de la Morelie du Breuil
- Blessed Jerome Michele Calmell
- San Giustino De Jacobis from San Fele
- Saints Pietro Doan Cong Quy and Emanuele Phung
Widow and martyr
Priest and martyr
Father of the family, martyr
Salesian coadjutor, martyr
Founder of the Gesuati