The Saint of the day May 14 is Saint Matthias, which name day is celebrated and other saints are celebrated on this date.
In the first chapter of the Acts of the Apostles, Matthias is mentioned, when he receives the task of replacing Judas Iscariot, hanged himself for having betrayed Jesus, thus reassembling the number of the twelve apostles.
For the choice of the substitute, a draw is made which, by divine grace, leads to the name of Matthias, instead of to the other candidate Giuseppe, nicknamed Barsabba, who nevertheless also worked in the ministry of preaching and sanctification.
After Pentecost, the preaching of Matthias begins, but after that date there was no more news.
According to tradition, Mattia is represented as an elderly man holding a halberd in his hand, to symbolize his martyrdom, of which, however, there is no historical evidence that confirms this type of violent death.
In the same way it is not sure that his death occurred in Jerusalem and that the relics were later transferred from Saint Helena, mother of Constantine emperor, to Trier, where they are venerated today.
Other saints and celebrations of 14 May
- Sant’Abruncolo di Langres
- San Cartaco di Lismore
- Blessed Egidio of Santarem (from Vaozela)
- Saint Erembert of Toulouse
- Saints Felice and Fortunato
- St. Gallen
- May 25: saint of the day, name day
- May 31: saint of the day, name day
- May 22: saint of the day, name day
- May 15: saint of the day, name day
- May 27: saint of the day, name day
- Sante Giusta and Enedina (Eredina)
- Saint Isidore of Chios
- Santa Maria Domenica Mazzarello
- San Massimo
- San Michele Garicoits
- San Ponzio di Pradleves
- Saint Theodora (Anna-Teresa) Guerin
Martyrs of Aquileia
Bishop of ClermontRecommended readings