The Saint of the day 6 May is San Pietro Nolasco, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
San Pietro Nolasco
Born in Mas Saintes Puelles around 1185 and died in Barcelona on December 25, 1256, Pietro Nolasco founded the religious order of the Mercedari.
Of a noble family, in Barcelona he redeemed many slaves of the Moors for his money, having been deeply impressed by the terrible condition in which they were kept, and in this merciful work he managed to find the help of a huge number of people.
With the support of King James I and the bishop of Barcelona, he was the founder of the Order of Santa Maria della Misericordia, also called della Mercede, which had as its main purpose the liberation and redemption of slaves.
He decided to follow the Augustinian rule by making a fourth vow, which consisted of offering himself prisoners in exchange for a Christian who was in danger of being forced to abandon his faith.
For this reason, near Algiers, where all those who were captured by the Saracens during the raids were led, it was Peter himself who offered himself as a hostage, suffering consequent torture and imprisonment.
In a few years, the Order of Santa Maria della Mercede managed to free up 26,000 prisoners.
Other saints and celebrations of May 6
- Blessed Anna Rosa Gattorno
- Blessed Bartolomeo Pucci-Franceschi
- Saint Benedict of Rome
- Blessed Caterina Troiani
- Saint Edberto of Lindisfarne
- May 25: saint of the day, name day
- May 31: saint of the day, name day
- May 22: saint of the day, name day
- May 15: saint of the day, name day
- May 27: saint of the day, name day
- Blessed Edward Jones and Antonio Middleton
- Blessed are Enrico Kaczorowski and Casimiro Gostynski
- Blessed Francesco de Montmorency-Laval
- Beata Jutta (Giuditta) of Sangerhausen
- San Lucio di Cirene
- Saints Mariano and Giacomo
Priests and martyrs
Bishop of Québec
Martyrs of Lambesa