What to see in Narni, itinerary including the main monuments and places of interest, including Rocca Albornoziana, Fonte Feronia, Ponte di Augusto and Duomo.
Located on a rocky outcrop, in a position overlooking the Nera river and the plain of Terni, Narni is an ancient city of Umbria, which in Roman times had the name of Narnia, derived from the Nahar river.
It was the first colony and important location located along the Via Flaminia, before subsequently becoming a Roman municipality.
In medieval times it was disputed between the Lombards and the church, reaching a period of well-being between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, that is when it became a free municipality.
The Cathedral of San Giovenale, built in Romanesque forms in the twelfth century and enlarged later, includes a bell tower decorated with polychrome majolica.
A fifteenth-century portico, with a remarkable frieze, under which there is a Romanesque portal and an arch that provides access to a Renaissance chapel, precedes the facade.
The interior with three naves ends with a large Gothic apse characterized by frescoed arches.
Noteworthy are the oratory of Saints Giovenale and Gassio, where frescoes and sculptures are kept, as well as the monumental sepulchres of Bishop Gormaz and Pietro Cesi.
In Piazza dei Priori there is a fountain on the bottom, while on the left side there is the town hall and on the right side the loggia dei Priori, part of the 14th-century palace of the same name, with two large arches characterized by cross vaults.
A pulpit protrudes from the palace, from which the edicts were proclaimed, while the Civic Tower rises to the side.
The thirteenth-century town hall, which is made up of three side-by-side tower houses, retains some Roman and medieval remains in the atrium, as well as Como mosaics.Recommended readings
- Umbria: Sunday day trips
- Gualdo Tadino (Umbria): what to see
- Ferentillo (Umbria): what to see
- Orvieto (Umbria): what to see
- Castiglione del Lago (Umbria): what to see
The church of Sant'Agostino, dating back to the fifteenth century, has a simple facade where a portal stands out flanked by a fresco, while inside three naves there are tables, frescoes and sculptures.
The Romanesque church of Santa Maria in Pensole, built in the twelfth century, is characterized by an arched portico and portals with relief decorations.
In the interior with three naves with columns, the walls are decorated with fourteenth-century frescoes.
The twelfth-century Romanesque church of San Domenico contains interesting frescoes and valuable sculptures.
In the interior with three naves on columns of the Gothic church of San Francesco, built in the fourteenth century above the oratory of the convent founded by San Francesco and which still retains the original portal, there are remarkable frescoes of the fifteenth century.
The Rocca Albornoz, dating back to 1370, has a square plan, corner towers and high keep.
At the fortress there is the ancient Fonte Feronia, dating back to pre-Roman times, of which the current fountain was built in 1582.
Of the Ponte di Augusto, an imposing Roman construction, only one of the high arches that overlook the Nera River remains.
In the historical center of the city there is the Museum of the City and the Territory which, located behind the Town Hall, collects the main pictorial, sculptural and archaeological works useful to reconstruct the history of these places.
In the archaeological section of the museum, artifacts ranging from prehistory to medieval times are preserved, while in the Pinacoteca there are works dating back to the period between the fourteenth and eighteenth centuries.
Among the most interesting works are the Coronation of the Virgin by Domenico Ghirlandaio, the Annunciation by Benozzo Gozzoli, the Egyptian Mummy, the decorated wooden sarcophagus and the bronze cup of the Fountain in Piazza dei Priori built in 1303.
Among the excursions to do in the area, the one at the Marmore Falls is interesting, located about 19 km away and formed by the spectacular fall of the waters with three jumps, for a total height of 165 meters.