The Saint of the day 9 October is San Dionigi and companions, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
San Dionigi and companions
The Acts of the Apostles recount that Paul, after he had left the Areopagus having finished his speech, was followed by some Athenians who had been fascinated by the announcement of the unknown God and at the same time shocked by that victory over the death he had made instead smile at their unbelieving citizens.
Of these few people, who go after Paul, only two names are mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles, that of a woman, Damaride, and that of a man, Dionysius the Areopagite.
Areopagita meant that Dionysius was part of that tribe of the Areopagus that met on the solitary esplanade and where Saint Paul had chosen to speak.
In the chronicle written by San Luca, Dionysius the Areopagite, like so many other characters of the Pauline era, is never mentioned again.
However, the news, reported by the great historian Eusebius from Caesarea, according to which, after Paul's speech and departure, the converted Dionysius became the first Bishop of Athens is to be considered probable.
Other saints and celebrations on 9 October
- San Giovanni Leonardi
- Saint Bernard of Rodez
- San Deusdedit (Diodato, Deodato) of Montecassino
- San Diodoro, Diomede and Didimo
- October 5: saint of the day, name day
- October 15: saint of the day, name day
- October 21: saint of the day, name day
- October 14: saint of the day, name day
- 20 October: saint of the day, name day
- San Donnino (or Donino) of Città di Castello
- San Donnino di Fidenza
- San Gisleno (Gisileno), Lamberto and Bernero
- San Guntero
- Saints Innocent of the Immaculate Conception (Emanuele Canoura Arnau) and 8 companions
- San Luigi (Ludovico) Bertran
Patriarch of Israel
Revered abbot in Sora
Religious and martyrs