The Saint of the day 17 September is San Roberto Bellarmino, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
San Roberto Bellarmino
Born in 1542 in Montepulciano in Tuscany, San Roberto Bellarmino entered the Society of Jesus in Rome.
Once ordained a priest, he held famous disputes in defense of the Catholic faith and taught theology in the Roman college.
Elected cardinal and nominated bishop of Capua, he made a significant contribution, with his activity in the Roman congregations, to the solution of complicated questions.
Died in Rome on 17 September 1621 between 6 and 7 in the morning, his body was deposited in the crypt of the Church of the Gesù in Rome, subsequently, after about a year, he was moved to the sepulcher that had housed the body of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.
He is patron of the Archdiocese of Capua, together with Santo Stefano protomartire.
Other saints and celebrations of 17 September
- Saint Hadrian of Friesland
- Blessed Cherubino Testa from Avigliana
- Santa Colomba of Cordoba
- Saint Emanuele Nguyen Van Trieu
- Stigmata of Saint Francis of Assisi
- Blessed Giovanni Ventura Solsona
- September 11: saint of the day, name day
- September 9: saint of the day, name day
- September 2: saint of the day, name day
- September 5: saint of the day, name day
- September 7: saint of the day, name day
- St. Hildegard of Bingen
- Saint Lambert of Maastricht
- Saint Peter of Arbues (Pedro Arbuès)
- San Reginaldo
- Saint Rodingo of Beaulieu
- San Satiro
- Blessed Sigismund (Zygmunt) Sajna
Priest and martyrRecommended readings
Bishop and martyr
Priest and martyr