What to see in Valdagno, itinerary including the main monuments and places of interest, including the Museum of textile machines, the remains of the Panisacco Castle, the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie and the Cathedral of San Clemente.
Valdagno is a city in the Veneto region in the province of Vicenza, located on the banks of the Agno river.
On the right bank of the river stands the historic center of the town, while on the left bank extends the Social City or City of Harmony, built between 1927 and 1946 by the Marzotto family, textile industrialists who in 1836 brought together the various processes scattered on the territory in a single building, the first nucleus of the current building.
Housing and services for workers were built on a large area of company land, such as the Polyclinic, Maternity, Kindergarten, Dopolavoro and the Theater, designed by the architect Francesco Bonfanti, creating an urban construction work and social that we can still admire almost unchanged.
Inside the social city, a lively neighborhood still inhabited, there is the Textile Machinery Museum, which can be visited in a part of the spinning, preparation and weaving workshops of the V.E.Marzotto Industrial Technical Institute.
The origins of the town of Valdagno date back to the Lombard period, when the Trissino family, of Swabian origin, came to Italy with Federico Barbarossa in the second half of the twelfth century, received this territory as a fiefdom and had two castles built there.
Nowadays only the remains of one of the two castles, that of Panisacco, have reached the place where today the Sanctuary of Santa Maria di Panisacco stands, whose origins date back to the beginning of the thirteenth century.
From the top of a cliff, the harmonious architecture of the Church dominates the entire Agno Valley.
The current urban layout of the city dates back largely to the eighteenth century, at the time of the Serenissima Republic.
Its historic center is crossed by an axis formed by Viale Regina Margherita and Corso Italia, overlooked by the eighteenth-century Villa Valle, home of the G. Marzotto Municipal Cultural Center, which houses the Civic Library and the Civic Gallery of Modern Art, and the Neoclassical Villa Cengia.
On Corso Italia there is also the Cathedral of San Clemente, built in the mid-eighteenth century on a project by Giovanni Miazzi.