What to see in Vinci, visit the ancient medieval village located in Tuscany in the province of Florence, on the hilly slopes of Montalbano among vineyards and olive groves, where Leonardo's birthplace and museum is located.
About 3 km from its historic center, along an ancient path or a panoramic road, you reach the town of Anchiano, where the house where Leonardo was born is located, surrounded by green countryside.
Together with the library and the Leonardo Museum, which houses most of the inventions and drawings, the birthplace of Leonardo da Vinci is a visible testimony of how this great artist was linked to his homeland, which with his landscape was his great source of inspiration for the brilliant studies and designs created.
The village of VInci has medieval origins, it was a possession of the Guidi feudal lords, until 1254 when it was ceded to Florence.
The Castle with its two towers dominates the entire town and a large part of the lower Valdarno.
Inside the Castle, which houses one of the two seats of the Leonardo da Vinci Museum, there are coats of arms, frescoes and a splendid polychrome terracotta from 1523, attributed to Giovanni della Robbia.
The other headquarters of the Leonardian Museum is located in the nearby Palazzina Uzielli.
The building overlooks Piazza dei Guidi, in a scenography designed by Mimmo Paladino.
The village also includes the Church of Santa Croce, which has been documented since 1132.
Originally from Romanesque architecture, the building took on its current appearance after the neo-Renaissance style works carried out between 1925 and 1935.
At the baptismal font of this church Leonardo was baptized, as attested by a document from his grandfather Ser Antonio da Vinci.Recommended readings
- Artimino (Tuscany): what to see
- San Galgano (Tuscany): what to see
- Poggibonsi (Tuscany): what to see
- Castiglione di Garfagnana (Tuscany): what to see
- Tuscany: Sunday day trips
It should be noted that, seen from above, the historic center of Vinci, for its characteristic shape similar to a boat, is also known as "Castello della Nave".