What to see in Castelnuovo ne ’Monti, itinerary including the main monuments and places of interest, including Eremo Bismantova, Palazzo Ducale and Obelisco.
Located in the province of Reggio Emilia and considered the capital of the Reggio Apennines, Castelnovo ne ’Monti preserves evidence of its ancient origin.
Among the main monuments and places of interest is the Pieve di Campiliola, dating back to 980 and located near the center, which is one of the most important religious buildings of this type in the area.
Today's stylistic features of the church are derived from the last reconstruction carried out between 1713 and 1726, at the behest of the then archpriest Don Giovanni Paolo Pallù of the Counts of the Palude di Crovara.
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta from 870 AD it has a system of considerable historical interest, including the square-plan tower built in brickwork with the method of parallel appeals, which was part of the Felina castle, an ancient defensive fortification.
In the Bismantova hermitage, in the locality of Pietra, inside the church there are valuable frescoes of the fifteenth century, among which the image of the Madonna and Child is highlighted, a masterpiece of Emilian painters.
The Church of Sant'Apollinare, dating back to 1200, stands in a panoramic position in the Ginepreto area.
Among the civil architectures it is worth seeing the Palazzo Ducale, built by Francesco IV d'Este around 1825, the Palazzo Ferrari, a seventeenth-century residence with a valuable portal, and the Palazzo Gatti, a compact fortified construction of the eighteenth century, which reports on the main front the coat of arms of the Gatti family, made of sandstone, while inside it preserves frescoes from the second half of the eighteenth century.
In addition to these buildings, we must not forget the War Memorial, in Sparavalle, consisting of a composition made up of a votive stone and a newsstand dedicated to the partisans of Castelnuovo n'Monti, the Obelisk of Castelnuovo, in Monte Bagnolo , a monument over ten meters high, erected in memory of the fallen of the first and second world war, and finally a sculpture dedicated to the deportees.
Continuing the itinerary, passing through via Roma, you reach Piazza Peretti, where the historic center begins.
Not far away is the building that housed the former cinema, now used as a theater and cinema.