How to make fish boiled in court-bouillon, a broth obtained with water, vegetables, herbs and dry white wine, then seasoned with oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and chopped parsley.
Ingredients for 4 people
- about 800-1000 g of fish
- 1 green celery rib
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 liters of water
- 1/2 liter of dry white wine (or 1 dl of white vinegar)
- 6 grains of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons of coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oilRecommended readings
- Thermidore lobster, original recipe with sauce
- Stuffed cuttlefish easy to make in a pan with white wine
- Stuffed anchovies breaded and fried
- Nicoise sole: recipe with lemon
- Grilled San Pietro fish fillets in the oven
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
How to prepare boiled fish court bouillon
Boil the water for 15-20 minutes with the onion, celery, parsley, bay leaf and 1/2 liter of dry white wine or 1 dl of white vinegar, coarse salt and white pepper, in order to get a court-bouillon.
To boil a slice or small or medium-sized fish, immerse the fish in the boiling court-bouillon, bring it to a boil on very low heat and let it simmer gently until the fish is cooked, usually it takes a few minutes depending on the weight and the type of fish.
If the fish is large, first prepare the court bouillon, then let it cool, then put the fish in it and cook it over medium heat.
Season the fish with oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and chopped parsley.
Keep in mind that:
- Hot boiled fish is tastier than cold fish.
- A whole fish is completely boiled when the eyes become white and very protruding from the orbit.
- Cooking times vary according to the type of fish, for example medium-sized trout are boiled in about ten minutes, while for a slice of cod, an umbrella or a hake of about one kilogram, on average it takes twenty minutes of cooking.
- Before being boiled, the fish must be carefully scaled, deprived of the dorsal and ventral fins, entrails and coagulated blood, which is always present along the spine.
- In addition, the fish must be well washed with water mixed with a little lemon juice.