The Saint of the day 28 September is Saint Wenceslas, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
Born in Bohemia around 907, son of Vratislao I duke of Bohemia and educated to the principles of Christian life by his paternal grandmother Ludmilla, St. Wenceslaus assumed the government of his duchy towards 925 and took care of Christianizing his country with the help of missionaries of the German Church.
He had to endure many difficulties in governing his subjects and educating them to faith.
Betrayed by his brother Boleslao, he was assassinated by the assassins in 935.
At the point of death, Wenceslas would have exclaimed the following words: "In your hands, Lord, I commend my soul".
Tradition has it that nobody managed to remove his blood from the wooden floor, where it had remained scattered.
The body is buried in the St. Vitus cathedral in Prague.
He was soon honored as a martyr and Bohemia chose him as his main patron.
Other saints and celebrations of 28 September
- Saints Lorenzo Ruiz of Manila and 15 companions
- Saints Alfio, Zosimo and companions
- Blessed Amalia Abad Casasempere
- Sant ’Annemondo
- September 11: saint of the day, name day
- September 9: saint of the day, name day
- September 2: saint of the day, name day
- September 5: saint of the day, name day
- September 7: saint of the day, name day
- Blessed Bernardino of Feltre
- San Caritone
- Saints Cunialdo and Gisilario
- Saint Essuperio of Toulouse
- San Fausto di Riez
- Blessed Francesco Saverio Ponsa Casallarch
- Blessed John Shozaburo and companions
- Blessed Joseph Tarrats Comaposada
- Santa Lioba
- Blessed Niceta (Mykyta) Budka
- San Salonio of Geneva
- San Simon de Rojas
Family mother, martyr
Bishop and martyrRecommended readings
Abbot in Palestine
Religious and martyr
Jesuit religious, martyr
Venerated in Fulda
Bishop and martyr