What to see in California, useful information regarding geographical position, neighboring states, coastal resorts and most beautiful cities not to be missed.
California is an important western state in the United States of America, bordering Oregon, Nevada and Arizona, Baja California, the Pacific Ocean and the Colorado River.
Joined the federated union in 1850, California initially rested on agriculture and mining while later there was a significant industrial development that led to an exponential increase in the population.
The name California derives from that of an island fruit of the imagination of the author of a popular Spanish novel of the time in which this land is described.
California is located in the western part of the United States and is washed by the Pacific Ocean.
Among the states of the United States, it is the one with the largest number of inhabitants who live largely within a range of a few tens of kilometers from the ocean.
The neighboring states are Oregon in the north, Nevada in the east, Arizona in the southeast and the Mexican state of Baja California in the south.
After Alaska and Texas it is in third place among the American states for territorial extension.
California is geographically very diverse with the central Valley in the center, the mountains on the west coast, the Sierra Nevada in the east, the Cascade Range in the north and the Tehachapi Mountains in the south.
Agriculture is highly developed in the central valley. The Sierra Nevada includes Mount Whitney which with its 4421 meters of altitude represents the highest mountain in the United States, the famous Yosemite National Park and Lake Tahoe which is a deep freshwater lake.
Along the coast are metropolitan areas such as San José-San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles-Long Beach, Santa Ana-Irvine-Anaheim and San Diego.Recommended readings
- California (United States): what to see
- Iowa (United States): what to see in the 29th state
- Arches: what to see in the national park
- Arizona (United States): what to see in the state of the Grand Canyon
- North Carolina: what to see between the city and the Atlantic coast
This state is divided into various physical regions including the Central Valley, a fertile valley of alluvial origin, the Cascate chain, the Coastal chain interrupted by the depressions of the Salinas Valley, the Transverse Ranges mountain ranges, the Peninsular Ranges mountains, the southeast region , including desert areas and arid basins, the coastal strip and the Sierra Nevada.
California's climate is largely Mediterranean with mild winters and not excessively hot summers on the Pacific coast.
The most beautiful cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San José and Sacramento.
– Los Angeles it is the largest city in California and, together with New York and Chicago, is one of the top three cities in economic and cultural importance belonging to the United States of America.
– San Diego it is located in southern California along the coast of the Pacific Ocean and is an important tourist destination thanks to the mild climate also present in winter and the long beaches.
– San Francisco it is famous above all for being a cosmopolitan city, animated by an exceptional cultural vitality and with an architectural variety used for buildings that combines classic Victorian style with modern architecture.
– San José is the capital of the County of Santa Clara, located about seventy kilometers from San Francisco, and is part of the San Francisco bay which represents one of the largest urban areas of the USA.
– Sacrament is the capital of the state of California and, located at the confluence of the Sacramento River and the American River, has a port connected through a channel to Suisun Bay. Sacramento International Airport is an airport that manages flights to the rest of the United States and Mexico.