Hong Kong: useful tourist information

post-title

Tourist information about Hong Kong, including all the things to know, useful for organizing a trip or vacation in this region located on the south coast of China.


Hong Kong in a nutshell

  • Capital: Victoria
  • Area in sq km: 1,108
  • Population: 7,008,300 (2009)
  • Religion: 90% Buddhists, Taoists and Confucians. The remaining 10% is made up mostly of Christians, and partly of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Jews.

Where is it

Hong Kong flag Hong Kong is located on the southern coast of China and is washed by the South China Sea. The region is made up of the homonymous island, over 200 surrounding islands, the Kowloon peninsula and the New Territories.

From 1841 to 1997 it was a British colony, from 1997 it was returned to China and became a special administrative region of the People's Republic of China, with a commitment for 50 years to keep the economic and social system unchanged.


Its territory is mainly hilly, the major reliefs are Tai Mo Shan, 957 meters a.s.l. and the Lantau peak, 934 meters a.s.l. located on Lantau island, the largest of the islands.

Hydrography

There are no streams.

Climate

The climate is sub-tropical with fairly high temperatures throughout the year.


The influence of the southwest monsoon, a hot and humid equatorial wind, causes rainfall from spring to summer.

In autumn the climate is quite dry and warm, in winter the climate is cool and dry.

The typhoon season covers the months from June to September.


Population

The majority of the population is made up of Chinese.

Time zone

The time difference is 7 hours ahead of Italy; 6 hours ahead when daylight saving time is in effect in Italy.

Recommended readings
  • Hong Kong: useful tourist information
  • China: useful information
  • Beijing: what to see in the forbidden city
  • Great Wall of China: where it is, length km
  • Chinese New Year: lantern festival

Spoken language

The official languages ​​are Chinese and English.

Economy

The economy is mainly based on international trade. The driving sectors are the banking and tourism sectors.

Hong Kong is one of the international financial centers and is a very important square for banking groups and sector operators.

When to go

From a climatic point of view, the best months to visit Hong Kong are October, November and most of the month of December.

Necessary documents

To enter Hong Kong, citizens of the European Union must have a passport with a residual validity of at least 6 months from the date of departure from Hong Kong.

The visa is not mandatory for tourist stays of less than 90 days.

Phone

- The international prefix for calling from Italy to Hong Kong is: 00852


- The international code to call from Hong Kong to Italy is: 0039

The cellular network covers the whole territory.

Electricity

The electric current in Hong Kong is 220V 50 Hz. It is advisable to have a power adapter.

Currency

The official currency of Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dollar (HKD). In Hong Kong there are many banks and ATMs, exchange offices are also easily found.

The main credit cards are widely accepted.

How to get

The Chatay Pacific airline directly connects Rome Fiumicino to Hong Kong. Some airlines that offer flights to Hong Kong with a stopover are Finnair, Air China International, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLm, Aeroflot Russian Airlines, Swiss International Airlines, Air France and Lufthansa.


Vaccinations

No mandatory vaccinations are required, however vaccinations against hepatitis A and B are recommended.

It is good not to eat raw or undercooked food.

Furthermore, before departure it is recommended to take out health insurance that covers medical costs and those to be incurred for a possible repatriation.

What see

Its main centers are Victoria and Kowloon, there are important industries there and it is a free port for goods of international importance.

Victoria, located in the northern part, is the heart of Hong Kong, where the Victoria Peack stands out, from where you can admire a suggestive view of the bay.

On the southern side of the island is Aberdeen, a fascinating inlet that once housed the boats of the poor of Hong Kong (Sampan), who lived on their boats, forming a floating city.

Now, the few remaining, they carry tourists around.

The commercial heart of the city is located on the Kow loon Peninsula, full of shops of all kinds, bars and restaurants.

During the night, when Hong Kong is colored with very bright colored lights, nightlife kicks off, through the myriad of clubs.

Hong Kong Vacation Travel Guide | Expedia (June 2021)


Tags: China
Top