The Saint of January 1 is Mary Most Holy Mother of God, which name day is celebrated and other saints who are celebrated on this date.
Mary Most Holy Mother of God
On this day we celebrate the great and consoling mystery of Mary's divine motherhood and the very high figure of the Madonna proclaimed by the Mother Church of God.
In fact, as the Second Vatican Council pointed out, the Virgin is inextricably linked with the work of salvation performed by her Son Jesus.
Mary daughter of Adam, saying yes to God, became the mother of Jesus, embracing the saving will of God with all her soul and without any stain of sin.
She totally consecrated herself to the Lord, her human and divine nature was affirmed for the first time in the Council of Ephesus in 431.
The solemnity of Mary Most Holy Mother of God is the first Marian feast of the year in the calendar of holidays recognized by the Catholic Church.
Other saints and celebrations of January 1st
- Blessed Andrea Gomez Saez
- Blessed Caterina Solaguti
- San Chiaro
- St. David III the Restorer
- January 26: saint of the day, name day
- January 12: saint of the day, name day
- January 4: saint of the day, name day
- January 16: saint of the day, name day
- January 27: saint of the day, name day
- San Frodoberto
- San Fulgenzio di Ruspe
- Blessed are Giovanni Battista and Renato Lego
- Blessed Giovanni da Montecorvino
- San Giuseppe Maria Tomasi
- San Giustino di Chieti
- San Guglielmo di Volpiano
- Blessed Luigi (Lojze) Grozde
- Blessed Mariano (Marian) Konopinski
- Saint Odilone of Cluny
- San Sigismondo (Zygmunt) Gorazdowski
- Blessed Ugolino da Gualdo Cattaneo
- San Vincenzo Maria Strambi
Salesian priest, martyr
Abbot of S. Marcello di Vienne
King of GeorgiaRecommended readings
Abbot of Condat
Abbot of Moutier-La Celle
Abbot of S. Benigno di Dijon
Priest and martyr