How to make befana biscuits, a traditional Tuscan recipe based on flour and eggs, with a complete preparation process, from the dough to baking in the oven with relative times.
Ingredients for 6 people
- Flour gr. 500
- Sugar gr. 300
- Butter gr. 150
- 4 eggs
- Half a glass of milk
- A sachet of yeast
- A glass of rum or anisette
- Orange peel
- Colored cashews cashew nuts
- Little saltRecommended readings
- San Giuseppe pancakes with raisins
- Simple and fast classic apple pie recipe
- Charlotte with dark chocolate mousse
- Raspberry jam tart with almonds, hazelnuts and pine nuts
- Cake with chestnut flour, pine nuts and raisins
Befana biscuits preparation
Make a crater with flour and mix it with soft butter, sugar, 3 eggs, a teaspoon of grated orange or lemon zest, baking powder, liqueur and a pinch of salt.
Sprinkle with a little milk in order to have a smooth mixture, work quickly, make it into a ball and let the dough rest for about half an hour in a cool place or in the fridge.
Roll out the dough with a rolling pin giving it a thickness of about 4 millimeters.
Then cut it with the special shapes in the shape of clovers, animals, hearts and stars.
Grease a baking tray and put the befanini in it, brush them with the beaten egg and sprinkle them with the colored sprinkles.
Bake them in a hot oven for about 20 minutes, until they have taken on a nice color between golden and hazelnut.